Sunday, October 5, 2008

Alaska

This was a trip to remember-- my first time to Alaska. From start to finish, it was simply blessed. All flights and connections were perfect, I got to meet amazing people and hang out in one of the most beautiful places I've seen on earth.

Everywhere I went, I had the urge to take pictures. Eventually I had to just stop and rest and realize that I can't hold on to the Beauty with a picture. Its hard to enjoy the moment with that kind of grasping going on. Instead, I decided to mostly rest and just take in the full experience of this wonderful place and time, enjoying a glimpse of heavenly beauty, believing its only a small taste of what awaits us on the other side... I can hardly wait.

One of the pastors at Bethel, Paul Manwaring, invited me to go on this ministry trip with him. We were in Alaska for about 5 days last week. It was just the two of us, so I had the opportunity to get to know Paul better, which was great. I may join him again on ministry trips in the future. The focus of the trip was "strategic planning." We went to help a certain church in Wasilla (Sarah Palin's hometown!) with their governmental leadership and church structures. We met with the elders individually and collectively. It was interesting to see what is really going on behind the scenes. Real people with real struggles, doing the best they can, looking for Wisdom and words to propel them and the people they're leading to the next level. I mostly just listened and learned, though I did have some opportunities to minister as well.

All-in-all, a quality trip and experience that I am grateful for.


View from an elders' backyard #1





View from an elders' backyard #2 (a little while later)



We got to go flying over the Valley, over a glacier, and through the mountains. It was really nice.



We landed here by a glacier.



Flying right next the glacier! The richer blue indicates a recent break in the ice.




4 moose just hanging out in my friends backyard! This was the first time I have ever seen moose.





View from my friends soon-to-be kitchen window (only the frame is up at this point). What a view...




I had to try the reindeer sausage... sorry Rudolph. It was ok.



Quote(s) of the day:

- "We have permission to live happily ever after." (Kris Vallotton)

- "I know if Your eye is on the sparrow, then Your heart is on me." (Jake Hamilton)

1 comment:

Cmgs said...

T-dog, i didn't know you had a blog too. That's cool. It seems like a great way to express thoughts and what is going on inside. I can't believe you're in alaska. Those pics are sick! Bless you bro