Monday, September 1, 2008

Grateful

I'm feeling grateful for my life these days, as I think back on my last two years here in Redding. Emerging from two years of solitude, my two years in society have been full of new lessons and new challenges, which have led to new discoveries and new growth.

I appreciate times of reflection like this. How else will we notice all we have to be grateful for?

I let my life get more cluttered in the last couple of years than I think was best for me. Part of this may have been a slip, but part was also intentional-- an experiment. I allowed myself to get in over my head to see what I could learn, to discover things about myself and God and life. It has been an exciting and painful process, but full of hope and promise. Discovering weakness isn't very fun, but discovering strength is. Either way, discovering what is real and true is of great value. I found myself saying, "Oh, so this is what Reality feels like... Good to know."

I'm feeling a refining of my focus these days, and I'm praying for the grace to be a more excellent steward of what I've been entrusted with. This summer I felt like God gave me this Scripture, "Trust in the LORD, and do good; dwell in the land and cultivate faithfulness" (Psalms 37:3). I'm desiring a more simple, focused life.


Quote of the day:
"The heart has its reasons that reason knows not of." (Pascal)

3 comments:

Zakaryans said...

where is the new post with new pics from your trip down here? your fans are waiting!!!!!!! :)

Melissa B said...

Have you read "The Reflective Life" by Ken Gire. I couldn't help but think of this book when I read this post on your blog. It is one of my favorite books.

Todd said...

Pictures to come soon (hopefully)!

Haven't read that book, but I have it. I have a new version of it called "Seeing What is Sacred." I'm not sure why he changed the title. But I've been wanting to read it for a really long time.

I know Lou Engle really likes Ken Gire, and the bits and pieces I've read have been really good.

Thanks for the recommendation. Hopefully I'll get to that one soon!