Sunday, December 28, 2008

Far Too Easily Pleased

"If there lurks in most modern minds the notion that to desire our own good and earnestly to hope for the enjoyment of it is a bad thing, I submit that this notion has crept in from Kant and the Stoics and is no part of the Christian faith. Indeed, if we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that our Lord finds our desires, not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased."
-C.S. Lewis

This quotation changed my life 8 years ago. Our campus pastor at Westmont, Ben Patterson, shared it during a morning chapel service. It was my first year at Westmont, having transferred as a sophomore after a year at community college. I hadn't been in right relationship with God for years, but was increasing in my hunger to find Him and be restored to fellowship with Him. This quote was a seed that got sown in my heart, compelling me on my quest, inviting me into something better. Shortly after hearing it, within weeks or months (I don't remember the timing exactly), I had a life-changing experience with God. I attribute some of that breakthrough to this quote, and it has served to inspire me in the years since, and helped me to remember...

Life with God is a Journey of Desire. An invitation to more, and better. Its not so much about giving things up as it is about gaining reward. Its an invitation to let go of inferior pleasures for superior ones.

What did men like Abraham and Moses, David and Paul find? What were they living for? Something more? Something better?

How hungry are we?

We don't know what we're missing until we taste it. I believe in something better...

A few months ago I felt like God established a line of truths in my heart:

- God is better than we thought.
- The Gospel is better than we thought.
- Life is better than we thought.
- We are better than we thought.
- Our future is better than we thought.

Its worth considering...

Quote of the day:
"By faith Moses, when he had grown up, refused to be called the son of Pharoah's daughter, choosing rather to endure ill-treatment with the people of God than to enjoy the passing pleasures of sin, considering the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures of Egypt; for he was looking to the reward." (Hebrews 11:24-26)

No comments: